Monday, August 8, 2011

Pink Blooms

As promised, a little more on the quilts I entered in the Territory Quilts 2011 exhibition, the first is my Pink Blooms...which is very pink...I can't help it, I really love pink, I try hard not to buy pink fabric, but it keeps on leaping into the shopping bag...I was going to take a photo of all my pink fabric but it's too embarrassing, and besides, then I would have to put it all away again! So Pink Blooms...


Based on a pattern in the publication Q is for Quilt by Diana McClun and Laura Nownes...this quilt was started about 4 years ago and had been languishing unfinished in the cupboard as a lonely quilt top.
About two years ago, I got it out and pinned it together for quilting, and then put it back into the cupboard, which is a bad thing to do, but here in "the tropical north of oz" it is a really bad thing to do, because the humidity makes the pins go rusty....but I was really lucky with this quilt as there was only one or two pins that got rusty and they happened to be near the edge where the rust marks would be covered by the binding!

So Pink Blooms came out of the cupboard at the beginning of this year because I knew I needed to get the pins out, and I wanted a sample quilt to practise my quilting on before I started quilting Red Hot Basket.




I had quite a bit of fun doing the free motion quilting and practising some new quilting moves, such quilt writing....


I really love the log cabin baskets in this quilt...and obviously I was so happy with the quilting I decided I could enter the quilt into the exhibition!

The other quilt I entered into the exhibition was the Pam Holland Christmas Beetle, about three years about Pam Holland came to Darwin to run a two day workshop for the Darwin Patchworkers and Quilters, what a revelation this was me, a whole new way of doing applique... free motion applique and quilting all at the same time...you gotta love that.


Pam supplied us with the picture of the beetle (actually you could choose from a variety of insects), and we brought in our own fabrics for the beetle and background...notice there is no pink in this quilt!


I really enjoyed the creative process in learning this new technique, and her work is amazing...check it out at Pam Holland Designs...I love doing workshops...you just never know what little gems of interest you will pick up! Some of it is even quilt related!!

Territory Quilts all over and done with for another year...well done to the Exhibition Coordinators (Barbara and Mum), and the Exhibition committee, for organising another successful exhibition.

Have a great week...I have been busy this weekend so there is some fun stuff to show you next time.

1 comment: