Saturday, June 16, 2012

Back to Baby Quilts

Remember the last baby quilts that I made....blogged about here.....the mum recently sent me through a photo of the babies sleeping under the quilts....so cute....


I have been spending some time working on some new baby quilts recently....and I was finding it a bit of chore because my friend had said she had decorated her nursery in brown and yellow and she didn't like baby blue or pink....now as soon as someone says "don't use those colours", what are first colours you think about using? yep... baby pink or blue...and of course to compound my creative block, I am not good with brown, it's just not my colour way!

So what colour can go with brown and yellow? How about grey? So I dusted off a little charm pack of Moda's Hullabaloo, and used this Moda Bake Shop pattern, and came up with this....


Not too bad...but isn't that a bit pink?


Yes, it's a little pink, but it will go in a brown and yellow nusery!

But guess what? She had a boy! A lovely little boy, so of course my lack of confidence about the colour came back so I decided to have another crack at a "grey" baby quilt.

This time no pink!


This little quilt actually had a status of UFO, it has been in the cupboard for maybe two years, in little pieces, based on a pattern by Laura Knowles and Diana McClune....not sure if I can remember all the fabrics, the turtle is from Wendy Slotbottom....the bird and the flower fabrics is a part of an organic range.


So it has a lovely pastel feel to it, and a variegated blue thread for the quilting will look lovely....not sure if it really fulfils the brief, but I am not making a third quilt! Now to find a flat surface, and some time to pin the quilt!

P.S. Something unexpected happened after my last post...I put the photos up on Flickr, and the full size photo of my Crossed Block Quilt ended up in Explore, which is a selection of random shots from across Flickr from the last 7 days...so there is the photo of my little quilt, with all these awesome shots of animals, landscapes, and people...I have several comments on what a great photo it is....it's quite funny...'cos I always think I need a new camera so I can take better photos!

3 comments:

  1. Baby quilts have a life of their own. They seem to morf into comfort when your sick or lonely. Great for watching Dr Who in cas youget a "little" scared and well just for being wrapped in as a wee one.
    Like them all.

    Found a Christmas tree quilt made from selvedges in a random box that finally was unpacked yesterday. Chrisymas in July coming up? Maybe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas in July...sounds like a good idea....was just thinking...should start planning all those hand made christmas gifts :)

      Delete
  2. Wonderful baby quilts!! The boy one will be perfect and now you have spare other one too. The first photo with the babies is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete